Gail's Daily Dose
- Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Horror? Fantasy mostly, but only because there are more women authors and female central characters in fantasy than sci-fi. Never horror.
- Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback or eBook? Mass Market if at all possible. I like all my books to be the same height so they are tidy on the shelves and also I want them as light & portable but not too expensive to misplace.
- Heinlein or Asimov? Asimov, I like his robots.
- Hitchhiker or Discworld? Hitchhiker all the way. Not that I don't love Pratchett, but there is just something about Adams.
- Bookmark or Dogear? Dogear, superfold, scrunch, notes in margins, post-its, you name it, I destroy my books.
- Magazine: Asimov's Science Fiction or Fantasy & Science Fiction? F&SF they tend to have better characters (as opposed to concepts).
- Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title, or random? By author.
- Keep, Throw Away, or Sell? Give away. I keep only the books I really love and know I will reread. Even those I purge twice a year, I am only allowed to keep two thirds of a bookshelf's worth.
- Short story or novel? Novels are my preference, but these days I read lots of shorts because I can fit them into small blocks of time.
- Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Neither. Dark is Rising baby, all the way!
- Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? When tired.
- Buy or Borrow? I buy usually, but if I'm not sure of a new author, I either borrow or get it from the library or I'm given an ARC for review.
- Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation, or Browse? These days usually what's new from an author I know and love, it's all I have time for. I take recommendations from a select few. A very select few, i.e. Phran and Rob Will Review.
- Lewis or Tolkien? Lewis.
- Hard SF or Space Opera? Space Opera, I like a bit of romance and characterization with my concepts.
- Collection or Anthology? Anthology, but I like this new vein of co-authored collections. Kind of fun.
- Hugo or Nebula? Alex Award, baby.
- Tidy ending or cliffhanger? Tidy ending.
- Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading? Yes.
- Standalone or Series? Bite-sized series: small tidy trilogies and a few stand alones in the same world = my favorite. With each book not too long. None of this Robert Jordan hold the door open bollix.
- Urban fantasy or high fantasy? Mostly urban, or modern. I'm over the whole three races JRR blah blah blah. Just play WOW, don't write about it.
- Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? Feed by M.T. Anderson
- Top 3 favorite genre books read within the last few years? 1. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs, 2. Local Custom by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, 3. Blade Dancer by S.L. Viehl
- Top 5 favorite genre books of all time? 1. The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip 2. The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper, 3. Taming the Forest King by Claudia J. Edwards, 4. By the Sword by Mercedes Lackey, 5. The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
- Top 5 favorite genre series? 1. Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce, 2. Servant of the Empire series by Raymond E. Feist & Janny Wurts, 3. The Sword Series by Adrienne Martine Barnes, 4. The Dark Is Rising (The Dark Is Rising Sequence) by Susan Cooper, 5. The Mageworlds Series by Debra Doyle & James D. MacDonald
Your Tisane of Smart:
Victorian Household Tip That Still Works: White scab build up from hard water (calcium or lime or both) on your kettle or pot? Soak the affected area of the pot in white vinegar, it'll take it right off.
Your Writerly Tinctures:
My agent on query spamming
says, "If you haven't picked this series up yet, I highly recommend you do. The writing, the plot, the characters, the setting, it's all beautifully done."
Shelfari breakdown including Chapter Titles
Even bigger SPOILER ALERT! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON
if you haven't read the other books first.
says, "'…Less' is definitely more when it comes to this series and I’m looking forward to the next installment."
Finished draft 8, turned in! It's available for preorder on Amazon.
Back at it.
Secret Project F
We're waiting. We're waiting.
Quote of the Day:
"I disagree with everything you say. But I will defend to the death your right to say it."
~ A. Voltare