Back from New Zealand


My dearest Gentle Reader, I am back from New Zealand and I have so much to share with you. I had a wonderful time and met many glorious people. I traveled to the North Island and then drove all over the South Island. I took pictures of steampunk and tea and parasols wherever I went. There were crazy new foods to discover as well as a bit of shopping and a great deal of reading.

Land of the long white cloud indeed!

I'm busy with acclimatization and reviewing all my photos and notes. I shall report in to you on my convention shenanigans in Rotorura with Pip and Tee and too much cider. I will tell you about a steampunk cafe and a statue of Queen Victoria in Christchurch and the Steampunk HQ in Oamaru. There may be something on seal pups in waterfalls, glacially carved topography, rainbows, and tea menus, not to mention parasols and pavlovas. I shall endeavor to relay much of it to you over the next few weeks, including some new book recommendations.

Store in Auckland that's basically my motto in life.

The AB and myself did consider that we might have to move to NZ as, so far, it's the only nation in which we traveled together where tea (Gail) and coffee (AB) are up to our respective standards. Also, major props for clearly considering breakfast the most worthwhile meal of the day. I could say much on the food but I simply did some Yelp reviews instead, this isn't a food blog after all. All I shall say here is... yum.

{Gail's monthly read along for April is The Eyre Affaire by Jasper Fforde}


GAIL'S DAILY DOSE

Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Greymouth parasol spotted on side of building.

Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Taken at the Art Museum in Auckland


Your Tisane of Smart . . .
In New Zealand British Marmite is Mighty (and New Zealand Marmite has sugar in it)

Your Writerly Tinctures . . .  
The Word Detective ~ Runcible spoon


PROJECT ROUND UP  




The Books! 

 The Finishing School Series: 1 Etiquette & Espionage, 2 Curtsies & Conspiracies, 3
Waistcoats & Weaponry, 4 Manners & Mutiny
 The Custard Protocol Series: 1 Prudence, 2 Imprudence
The Parasol Protectorate Series: 1 Soulless, 2 Changeless, 3 Blameless, 4 Heartless, 5 Timeless
Parasol Protectorate Series manga graphic novels
Soulless Vol. 1, Soulless Vol. 2, Soulless Vol. 3
 $0.99 short stories (ebook only) Marine Biology, My Sister's Song, & Fairy Debt; The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't, the Mummy That Was, and the Cat in the Jar

Book News:
Nalini Haynes of Dark Matter Zine says of Prudence: “Gail Carriger continues her steampunk comedic adventure series spiced with romance and she does it well. Imagine Jane Austen writing a 19th century romp for a 21st century audience, complete with vampires, werewolves, and sexytimes in the near future. Prudence is not to be missed.”

Quote of the Day:
"The matronly old houses seemed to wear the lush foliage of the street's many oaks and maples like fir stoles." (John Shirley, Wet Bones, 1993)
~ Ansible (In Typo Veritas)

Like Gail on Facebook & Twitter. Or you can join her mailing list
She also has a fashion blog ~ Retro Rack.
The best place to talk all things Parasol Protectorate is on its
Facebook Group.

Labels: ,