September's Book Pick ~ Children of the Night by Mercedes Lackey


September's book pick, for those of you participating in the read along, is Children of the Night by Mercedes Lackey. This is a reread for me, but a welcome one.


Originally published in 1990, this is the second book in Lackey's short lived but much beloved Diana Treagarthe Investigates series. (There's wild rumors as to why she gave up on this series ~ buy me a drink sometime and I'll tell you about them.) I'm not a huge fan of the first installment, and I think Children of the Night stands well enough alone, so that's why I chose it.


Perhaps more importantly, Children of the Night introduces us to André. I thought you all might enjoy reading not only my first encounter with urban fantasy but also the origin (in Gail's psyche) of the sexy vampire archetype. I think Lackey does it better than anyone else and to this day I love André with an undying devotion. 

This is going to be interesting for me, I've never read this book with my critic/writer hat on.


Cogent information:

Don't want to read this book? I'll probubly also be reading the follow up to last month's Clockwork Heart, Clockwork Lies as well as rereading Diana.


{What is Gail's Book Group reading for September? Children of the Night by Mercedes Lackey}


GAIL'S DAILY DOSE

Your Moment of Parasol . . .
1866-1868  The Philadelphia Museum of Art

Your Infusion of Cute . . .

Your Tisane of Smart . . .
The Barn Looks Like It’s Wearing an Invisibility Cloak

Your Writerly Tinctures . . .  
Colonels of Industry


PROJECT ROUND UP  
Prudence ~ Custard Protocol Book the First:   Releases March 17, 2015 now available for pre-order! Working copy edits.
Manners & Mutiny ~ The Finishing School Book the Last.   Finished first draft. Out with Beta readers. Release date November 2015. Not yet available for pre-order.



The Books! 

 The Finishing School Series: 1 Etiquette & Espionage, 2 Curtsies & Conspiracies, 3
Waistcoats & Weaponry (Coming November 4, 2014)
 The Custard Protocol Series: 1 Prudence (Coming March 17, 2015)
The Parasol Protectorate Series: 1 Soulless, 2 Changeless, 3 Blameless, 4 Heartless, 5 Timeless
Parasol Protectorate Series manga graphic novels
Soulless Vol. 1, Soulless Vol. 2, Soulless Vol. 3
 $0.99 short stories (ebook only) Marine Biology, My Sister's Song, & Fairy Debt; The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't, the Mummy That Was, and the Cat in the Jar

Book News:
@TheTwinsRead  on Twitter "Nicole's Nails inspired by @gailcarriger 's Etiquette and Espionage"


Quote of the Day:
"Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life.  But I go marching on."
~ George Bernard Shaw


Follow Gail on Facebook & Twitter. Or you can join her mailing list
She also has a fashion blog ~ Retro Rack.
The best place to talk all things Parasol Protectorate is on its
Facebook Group.

Labels: , ,