How are we liking Fortune's Pawn? Book Group So Far


I had this great blog post prepped with my thoughts on Fortune's Pawn so far, awesome non-spoiler quotes picked out, cool images, and some questions for you all.

And then Blogger ate it.

Argh!

And because I have proofs due TODAY (eeeeeeeek!!!!) I don't have time to fuss trying to figure out what happened.

So what follows is my attempted reconstruction.

But before we start, over on Goodreads the Gail Carriger Fan Group is running a discussion thread for each month's book. Thread for Fortune's Pawn discussion: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1860752-june-read-fortune-s-pawn-rachel-bach

via Facebook


Suffice it to say, I am enjoying the book very much. It reminds me of a mix of the Huff's Valor series (only less carnage and military) and Viehl's Stardoc series (only less Kassandra predicts the end of all things) and A Point of Honor by Dorothy Heydt. (Thanks to twitter for remembering that book's name for me.) I enjoy that Devi is not particularly special, that she simply is herself ~ tough and good in armor. She's no genetic experiment, or prophet, or savior of the galaxy. She's a really good mercenary, and that's awesome and loveable.

I particularly love that Devi names her inanimate objects because I do that too. Secretly, I think it is an trixie author-beast info-dumping trick: Rachel is using Devi's love for her weaponry as an excuse to describe the tech in detail. But it's a great trick and I must commend her for it.

"Sasha struck true, her armor-piercing bullet hitting Rupert right in the middle of his forehead."


I like Devi very much, although I don't think I entirely understand her - not being of the mercenary mindset myself. I think much of Devi's behavior and personality has to do with her upbringing and the stratified nature of Paradoxian society, thus I wish we saw more of her family and background.

“No, no, I meant why do you want to be a Devastator?”
“Because they’re the top,” I said. “The absolute pinnacle of how far a peasant like me can go. I’d be under the direct command of the Sacred King himself. It doesn’t get much better than that.”


I also am particularly taken by the idea of the gladiatorial power armor games, and by the world of Paradox itself. I do hope we get to spent more time there. If not in this series, perhaps in future works.

“Gerald Reddeath is a hack,” I snapped. “He doesn’t even fight in the actual gladiatorial games. He’s in the demonstration league, which is scripted.”


via oupacademic tumblr

 Much to my delight, Rachel has agreed to an interview. I'll be posting it next week. I've given her the standard silly questions but if you have anything in particular you would like to ask her, please let me know and I will pass it on.

Or you can just chat with her yourself over twitter.

There was something else in the now missing blog post, but I've forgotten because I am brain dead with heat and having just turned in a manuscript with proofs eating every bit of what is left. So please forgive me this spacy ways.


{What is Gail's Book Group reading for June? Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach ~ Book One in the Paradox series}


GAIL'S DAILY DOSE

Your Moment of Parasol . . .
2013 IN CELEBRATION OF SISTERHOOD

Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Star Wars Death Star football

Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Dinner In The Sky is an adrenaline-fueled fine dining experience that takes place around a steel dining table structure that’s secured to a set of cables and suspended by crane up to 180 feet above the ground.
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .  
"A letter is of no use unless it conveys some information, excites some interest, or affords some improvement."
~ The Ladies' Guide to True Politeness and Perfect Manners or, Miss Leslie's Behaviour Book
by Eliza Leslie (1864)
(The same may be said of description, in my humble opinion.)


PROJECT ROUND UP  

Waistcoats & Weaponry ~ The Finishing School Book the Third. November 4, 2014. Proofs right now.

Prudence ~ Custard Protocol Book the First:  Turned in! Release date March 17, 2015. Not yet available for pre-order.
Manners & Mutiny ~ The Finishing School Book the Last.   Finished rough draft, cutting and trimming beginssoon. Not yet available for pre-order.



The Books! 

The Finishing School Series: 1 Etiquette & Espionage, 2 Curtsies & Conspiracies
 The Custard Protocol Series: 1 Prudence (Coming March 17, 2015)

The Parasol Protectorate Series: 1 Soulless, 2 Changeless, 3 Blameless, 4 Heartless, 5 Timeless
Parasol Protectorate Series manga graphic novels
Soulless Vol. 1, Soulless Vol. 2, Soulless Vol. 3
 $0.99 short stories (ebook only) Marine Biology, My Sister's Song, & Fairy Debt


Book News:
Lilliput sitting expectantly on my page proofs.


Quote of the Day:
“We're clearly soldiers in petticoats, and dauntless crusaders for women's a-votes! Though we adore men individually, we agree as a group they're rather stupid.”
~ Mary Poppins (Mrs. Winifred Banks)

Follow Gail on Facebook & Twitter. Or you can join her mailing list
She also has a fashion blog ~ Retro Rack.
The best place to talk all things Parasol Protectorate is on its
Facebook Group.

Labels: , ,