I love the idea, Gentle Reader, of blogging a bit about my other valentines. Of course, there is the AB and Lilliput, but you know how much I love them. (And they do too, I suspect.)
No, instead I want to tell you my other loves ~ 24 of them, to be precise. The ones that brighten my day in less intimate ways, as it were. These are loves I can share with you, Gentle Reader, in hopes that you find one or two loving, yourself. So here we go!
3 Blogger Crushes
3 Author Crushes
- Jody Hedlund ~ her blog always has something interesting to say about being a writer and how to get on with it. As does Janice Hardy's.
- Myke Cole ~ one of my chronic
convention drinking buddies, he did this amazing interview with Mur recently
on I Should Be Writing, which reminded me what a bang up decent human he is. Also his tweets are hilarious.
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch ~ a long running voice for authors in the field, hugely respected as both a writer, journalist, and promoter of writing as a business.
3 Fashion Crushes
- My swingy black coat from H&M ~ I've had her for 4 years now, found second hand, it needed a zipper repaired recently but I wear this coat constantly.
- OMG That Dress tumblr ~ still my favorite source for vintage clothing images.
- Couture Carrie blog ~ currently my top pock of fashion blogs that focuses on modern clothing.
3 Food Crushes
- Trader Joe's Frozen Hash Brown Patties ~ I love them with an entirely unhealthy passion.
- Honey crisp apples ~ only the best little eating apples on the planet, 'tis the season right now, eat them, eat them all!
- Treader Joe's Multigrain Pita Chips with Sesame Seeds ~ what can I say, we do most of our grocery shopping at TJs, these are my newest crispy addiction.
3 Household Crushes
- Lilliput's bar stool (similar)
~ scored this puppy at Ross for $40, a raising and lowering stool
which, at the highest setting, is higher than our little dining table
which means the cat would rather sit on it than on the table, success!
She loves this thing, and, in a pinch we can lower it for extra seating
when we have company. In an apartment our size everything has to serve
double duty. I do feel like a fool buying a stool for my cat, though.
Spoiled little bean.
- Our new toaster ~ this was a big decision and quite the investment but it may be the greatest toaster ever, it's so fast and so good and so pretty and so small and so tidy.
- Dipping bowls ~ on a whim I bought 3 of these from Ikea and we used them so much the AB trotted into China Town and bought 4 more. One of the primary uses is to dip French toast into the maple syrup rather than poor it over, saves on cleaning the plate and the amount of syrup used.
3 App Crushes
- Bejewelled ~ currently addicted, I get that way occasionally. I'll get suddenly over it in a few weeks and the app will live unused on my phone next to Temple Run.
- Tumblr ~ it has it's flaws as a medium but I am happy flipping through pretty pictures over tea and reposting them on a whim. I like it much better than pinterest, instagram, or flikr, I know they aren't comparable but if I have to pick one, it's tumblr.
- Stylebook ~ still the best and only worthy handler for my vast closet, outfit planning, and packing.
3 Business Crushes
3 Beauty Crushes
- Syncing statement dates ~ this is a weird one, but I found out recently (probably from Lifehacker) that you can change the dates upon which your credit card and bank statements are issued so that they all sink up and, basically, mirror the month. I took a morning to call them all up and sync them all and now they come in at the same time, beginning of the month, this make little OCD me soo happy.
- The Amazon self-pub statistics debate ~ Hugh Howey started it, but there's a good summation of the conversation (mainly troll-free, thank goodness) by Harry J Connolly. I have been riveted by the whole discussion, I have a weird soft spot for stats left over form my social sciences days.
- Google Calender ~ my new buddy to help with planning and scheduling, so for it's going well, I anticipate betrayal.
- Eos lip balm ~ specifically I like the sweet mint flavor but I haven't tried them all. I have a thing about spherically shaped objects, so I may love them for the packaging more than anything.
- Baking soda facials ~ I make a little paste of baking soda and cold water in the palm of my hand then rub over my face and wash off, twice a week. It exfoliates and bit and leaves my skin feeling really smooth, I just started but so far no adverse reactions or anything
- CloSYS Alcohol Free Mouthwash ~ I HATE mouthwash, it just makes me gag, this stuff has very little resemblance to what one would ordinarily expect, and I won't say I love it, but at least I use it.
Special mention goes to...
Any gif showing inter-species affection or a cat beating up a dog/baby. Don't ask me why, I just find it hilarious. Secretly, I am both more corny and more cruel than you would expect. Or not?
GAIL'S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
|Mcgovern Downton screen still|
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
|Moss shower mat via FB|
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
PROJECT ROUND UP
Curtsies & Conspiracies ~ The Finishing School Book the Second. Out now!
Soulless Vol. 3 (AKA Blameless the manga) ~ Out now!
Waistcoats & Weaponry ~ The Finishing School Book the Third. I honestly do not yet know the exact release date. Probably early November 2014.
Manners & Mutiny ~ The Finishing School Book the Last. Working rough draft.
Prudence ~ Custard Protocol Book the First: Delayed. Why? Rewrite begins soon.
Parasol Protectorate Series manga graphic novels
Audiobook of Crudrat releasing end of April 2014. Find out more at crudrat.com
So Many Books, So Little Time says of Curtsies & Conspiracies, “I adore the madcap world that Gail Carriger has created. A dirigible finishing school, highway men in top hats, vampire professors and mechanimals – I want to be a part of it.”
Quote of the Day:
"It is through art, and through art only, that we can realise our perfection."
~ Oscar Wilde
Labels: fashion, food, podcasting, shameless promotion, shaving the beast