When I'm not writing...
- My brain is resting, so that it can puzzle through character motivations, stylish yet deadly accessories, or possible new steampunk technology for my next scene.
- I'm researching for historical accuracy, so I can decide whether to break it in my next book.
- I'm listening to podcasts for information and inspiration pertaining to writing, or the business of being a writer.
- I'm cooking, grocery shopping, running errands, doing laundry, training the cat, all those things that everyone else does in their spare time, so that I am healthy and sane, so I can write regularly.
- I'm blogging here, so you know I'm accountable to my readers, so you continue to stay faithful and read what I write.
- I'm flipping through feedly for interesting things to post or tweet, I'm also reading up on how to better manage self employment to I can continue to afford the life of a writer.
- I'm answering calling cards, queries about my world, homework questions from my readers so they continue to read my books.
- I'm updating my website, so all my information is more accessible, so when someone asks me the same question for the hundredth time I can point them at the website and save hours in the long run to focus on writing.
- I'm emailing with foriegn translators, editors, conventions, bloggers, bookstores so that everything goes smoothly on the launch of the next book for you, the reader.
- I'm working on a writing schedule and consulting my calender, so I can decide on travel to meet you, who read what I write.
- I'm processing my budget, determining taxes, figuring out insurance, and fighting with credit card companies, so I an afford to live as a writer.
- I'm off at the library, or the shooting range, or up in a balloon, some other oddball place having fun but also doing hands-on research, so I can write more accurate descriptions.
- I'm reading someone else's book, because I want to, and
because maybe I can recommend it to my readers because I can, at best,
only bring out one or two books a year and you need more than that.
- I'm stretching or exercising, so my body doesn't fall apart, so I can stand at a computer for hours, or sit at a desk for days doing copy edits, so I make my deadlines without pain, so the book comes out on time.
And yeah, you know what?
- Occasionally, I am watching TV that has nothing to do with writing.
- Sometimes, I am watching TV, reading blogs, and chatting on Twitter because I need a break from the world of writing for a short time, so I can take a breather, build up momentum, and get back to it.
- Once a day, I'm drinking tea with a cat on my lap and thinking about outfits for my next event, because my brain hurts.
- And sometimes I'm sleeping.
You see, Gentle Reader, sometimes, I'm not writing. And that too is necessary, and right, and good, and important.
I leave you with one final thought ~
It could always be worse.
I have one name for you:
George R. R. Martin
GAIL'S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Ladies' Museum v. 1, plate 105 Wirgman, Dress Maker, Hanover Street, Hanover Square.
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
|via childlunae tumblr|
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
On Asking “When Will You Write Another Book?”
PROJECT ROUND UP
Curtsies & Conspiracies ~ The Finishing School Book the Second. Out now!
Soulless Vol. 3 (AKA Blameless the manga) ~ Out now!
Waistcoats & Weaponry ~ The Finishing School Book the Third. Release date to come.
Manners & Mutiny ~ The Finishing School Book the Last. Working rough draft.
Prudence ~ The Parasol Protectorate Abroad Book the First: Delayed. Why? Rewrite begins in 2014.
Gail Carriger's Scribbles!
I have a short piece in Journey Planet (on pg. 53) answering the question: What Is Your First WorldCon Memory?
Quote of the Day:
“I distrust any advice that contains the words 'ought' or 'should'.”
~ Tamora Pierce
Labels: faq, shaving the beast