Favorite Guilty Pleasure Movies


I tend to think of certain movies as good flavor movies. Which is to say, Gentle Reader, if I I have a bad day or see a movie that really upsets me, I can go home and pop in one of these and it will make me feel better. They live at the very front of my DVD binder for easy access. For some reason I don't have books that function the same way ~ perhaps books tap into a different part of the psyche.


Ever After ~ I have no idea why this Cinderella retelling featuring Drew Barrymore and Angelica Houston is so appealing, but it is. It could be that it ties back to my childhood love for the Slipper and the Rose. It also features Melanie Lynskey as one of the stepsisters, my choice of casting for Ivy Hisselpenny. The dialogue is stilted, the costuming questionable, and the accents atrocious but none of that seems to matter ~ watching this movie never fails to make me feel better.


Latter Days ~ Possibly the most romantic film ever made: party boy redeemed through the love of a good . . . Mormon? Yeah. Bring it. I can re-watch the ending scene where Christian drops the tray in surprise over and over again. Who knew the sexiest words in existence were "I hate the snow"?


Bend it Like Beckham ~ Girl power comedy featuring romantic interest Jonathan Rhys Myers in full on pouty-lipped tortured Irish mode. Who could ask for anything more? Not to mention in indomitable Juliet Stevenson as the white trash mother (or the British equivalent of white trash) trying to understand sports. In addition, we get: interracial difficulties, spunky girls with something to prove, gay best friend, makeover, sister bonding, victorious sports action, Bollywood dance, and beautiful saris. I find it odd anyone would not love this movie.

So those are my picks, and now, I'm dieing of curiosity. What are yours?

GAIL'S DAILY DOSE

Your Moment of Parasol . . .

1882  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Your Infusion of Cute . . .
18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug

Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Quirky Victorian Term explained: Isinglass “A transparent jelly, made from the entrails of a fish.”
~ Mangnall’s Questions, 1830

Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Bookshelves Talk: What Do Your Bookshelves Say About You?

PROJECT ROUND UP
Waistcoats & Weaponry ~ The Finishing School Book the Third: Writing rough draft.
Etiquette & Espionage ~ trade paperback available in the US October 13, 2013.
Curtsies & Conspiracies ~ The Finishing School Book the Second: Release date November 2013. My ARCs have arrived, contest to come.
Manga ~ Soulless Vol. 3: (AKA Blameless) Available serialized through YenPlus. Print edition Nov. 19 2013.
Prudence ~ The Parasol Protectorate Abroad Book the First: Delayed. Why? Begin rewrite in 2014.


BIG FAT SPOILER ALERT on the Parasol Protectorate series! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven't read the other books first!

The Omnibus hardback editions are limited run through the SciFi Bookclub only.

The manga editions available in print.

Most short stories available in ebook form world wide!

The first Finishing School book ~ OUT NOW, The second Finishing School book ~ Nov. 5, 2013

Book News:
Review of Soulless Vol. I (the manga)
Dark Matter Fanzine says, “The manga books are a fantastic addition to your Parasol Protectorate collection or a substitute for the time-challenged who just do not have the time to enjoy the delicious repast that is each of the original novels.”

Quote of the Day:
“Quadrature. The first and last quarter of the moon.”
~ Mangnall’s Questions, 1830

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

quotes Gail likes



Goodreads Quotes