So, Gentle Reader, I tried to watch Four Feathers
recently. Before you accuse me of slacking off the writing, this was
part of my on going attempt to understand the Victorian army system and
breakdown of regiments and ranks and so forth. Four Feathers featured
Rupert & Heath, a few nice costumes, a number of questionable
accents, and some spectacular scenery, but it was . . . (how do I put
this nicely?) not
good. Le sigh. Can't win them all.
It did prompt me did go back over my old notes from Changeless
on the subject for the regimental system in my particular version on
Victorian England. So here's a little DVD extra moment for you all.
Victorian Regimental System ~ Gail's Universe
The Queen's Regiment
AKA the Regulars
- Officer corps = ruling class drawn from squires, clergy, civil servants, politician, pack members
drawn from all manner of personal, include a number of convicts who are
given military service as an option instead of prison or deportation
- Military caste is a narrow, closed society
- Barracks and officer's wife’s also rather liminal to regular society
- A kind of unspoken code that officers marry other officer's daughters
- Pack or family mentality
AKA the Company
- 1/2 British army abroad, including the commander-in-chief of India, privately chartered by the Honorable East India Company (a vampire funded and owned trade concern)
- British East India Company founded in 1300 and incorporated by Elizabeth I under royal charter December 1, 1600
- Familiarly known as "Bloody John Company" or sometimes Old Jack (See what I mean? Vampires)
- East India Company's Army comprised of various divisions.
- European Regiments = British & Irish recruits, used in daylight action
Regiments = high caste Hindus from bengal + Sikhs + some Muslims +
Gurkhas + some local vampires if willing + local werewolves if around in
that part of the Empire
- British werewolf packs do not serve in the Company, only in the Regulars.
the Company could hire regular regiments from the government, posing an
interesting problem in some parts of the Empire with packs fighting
Werewolf pack members generally carry (baring personal issues, experience, and other concerns) the following rank:
Alpha = Colonel
Beta = Lieutenant-Colonel
Gama = Major
they do not necessarily command the ordinary number of soldiers
associated with such ranks, but act more as scouts or special services
They are attached to a regiment but not always fully integrated within that regiment.
PROJECT ROUND UP
~ The Parasol Protectorate Abroad Book the First:
Release date Fall 2013. Writing rough draft. We have encountered chai,
and had a bit of a nookie scene. Rue is unsure of both, but not entirely
Curtsies & Conspiracies
~ The Finishing School Book the Second:
Title changed. Awaiting copy edits.
Etiquette & Espionage
~ Finishing School Book the First: Release date Feb 5, 2013.
Working promo schemes to begin September.
~ Soulless Vol. 2: (AKA Changeless
) Reviewing chapter by chapter, each drops on YenPlus
by subscription. Print release tentatively
Dark Faerie Tales
reviews the manga.
Quote of the Day:
there is really no reason why the Englishwoman in India should burden
herself with the same number of petticoats, shifts, bodices, and what
not, that her great-grandmother wore in temperate climes. We so not
advocate any sloppiness in dress; on the contrary, we would inveigh
against any yielding to the lassitude and indifference which comes over
the most energetic in tropical heat, but we would have people as
comfortable as they can be under the circumstances. And any multiplicity
in under-garments, no matter how thin they may be, keeps in
perspiration and conduces fatally to prickly heat."
~ Steel & Gardiner, 1888