Advice for Author Readings


I am very leery of attending author readings, I must say. With the exception of a noted few, they have universally trod a delicate line between mind-numbingly monosyllabic and astonishingly tedious. Suffice it to say, Gentle Reader, that I have met very few authors who would not benefit from the following advice.

The tips below are courtesy of the lovely [info]maryrobinette who gave the best panel I attended at WorldCon in 2008 (and that is saying a lot, I went to some splendid panels back then). She had many more tips than just the following, and gave us a first-rate hand-out (which I still have, filed under "Really Important Advice"). I pulled only those few things I found most advantageous for this blog.
Your moment of parasol . . .


Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:

Your Tisane of Smart:
DIY: Striped Umbrella
Your Writerly Tinctures:
Elen Datlow
on BEA 2011


Timeless: Back from editor, off to Gamma (who is taking it to Israel). My book travels where I haven't!
Secret Project F: Plod plod.
Secret Project PPA: Only a twinkle in my little eye.


BIG FAT SPOILER ALERT! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven't read the other books first!

Direct link to the audio from me reading from Blameless at SF in SF

Quote of the Day:
“A baby is an alimentary canal with a loud voice at one end and no responsibility at the other.”
~ Jerome K. Jerome

Labels: