The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec, A Review


So you will never guess what I finally saw, Gentle Reader. Yes indeed, the Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec!



There were fewer steampunk moments than I thought there would be, but it was still quite the fun little flick. Taking place in 1911, it is a comic-book-style romp repeat with character actors in a way only the Europeans are able to manage. There are particularly large ears, immense noses, and substantial mustaches. The mustaches seem almost to become characters themselves. There is even a Madame Lefoux in Paris moment or two. There is a bumbling investigator, idiot politicians, several conspiring academics, and a Allan Quatermain style big game hunter ~ wearing eye makeup (!). My favorite character, of course, was the mummy, bowler hatted and in pursuit of tea. I also loved the prime minister's Scottie.

One stand-out steampunk moment was the improvised breathalyzer. There was a brief glimpse of a parasol, although it is never, to my mind, wielded appropriately. The costumes were quite lovely and I was so inspired I nearly bought a large and completely nonsensical hat the very next day. There movie also featured, in no particular order ~ sheep camouflage, prison breaks, and pterodactyl pooh.


The plot was rather odd and convoluted, but in then end I very much enjoyed myself. It is sort of how Alexia might be had I crossed my brain with that of Chester Gould and perhaps a little Pink Panther.


Who knows if it will ever get a US release, like City Hunter, it might be destined to languish in obscurity. Still, if you have a chance, I recommend it.

Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
And the main actress, playing Adele, is very stylish off set too!

Your Tisane of Smart:
More on my favorite, the Mimic Octopus.
Your Writerly Tinctures:
The new Macmillan contract looks rough.

Caatje's thoughts. "This book is absolutely charming. The whole style is adapted to Victorian times where certain things went by certain rules and even though she is a lady, Alexia is also practical enough to know when to break them."
SPOILER ALERT!
Even bigger SPOILER ALERT! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven't read the other books first.


: Awaiting galleys. Available for preorder on Amazon.
Timeless: Clomp, clomp, comp.
Secret Project F: We're waiting. We're waiting.


Quote of the Day:
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony know as afternoon tea."
~ Henry James

Labels: , , , , ,