Soulless Turns 1: Gail Blogs About Life After The Sale

Soulless is One Year Old Today!

I know, Gentle Reader, doesn't it seem like a millennia ago? But really, the little paranormal the could (my original name for Soulless) is a year old today.

Say "goo" Soulless-i-kin.
Goo!

I've been sitting on the following blog for a really long time. At first because I wasn't certain I should talk about it, and then because I wasn't certain I wanted to. But I got it out and dusted it off to turn into a handout for this class I'm teaching at WordPlay next month and decided that no, it really was something I wanted to share with you all. Then I realized that today is Soulless's birthday so I thought, why not?

Now, it's probably only of interest to the writers out there, so I have placed it under a cut for your convenience. Nevertheless, I do hope some of you enjoy the journey, and perhaps learn something from my experience.

So Miss Carriger, tell us about what it was like After the Sale?

So the call came, the bouncing occurred, the lightning struck, what does one expect next? Here's what happened to me.

The Beginning . . .

So, this whole process occurred in fits and starts. There were months of silence while people were away, on vacation, or otherwise occupied. Then suddenly everything would happen in a few days. Mostly things happened over email, but at the beginning there were lots of phone calls.

The weirdest part is, it never ended. Until the book was in my hand, I spent the whole time convinced they were going to pull it. That something was going to go wrong. That any change I made would result in the book being dumped. In the end it was a little like resubmitting the poor thing over and over again.

Your moment of parasol . . .


Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
Steampunk fashion shoot
Your Tisane of Smart:
British Library puts Greek manuscripts online.
Your Writerly Tinctures:
Bookends talks how to manage social media as a writer. I have some beef with the advise point # 1. As a reviewer, not an author, I believe EVERY author should have a website or blog with some kind of contact information, whether you are comfortable with this or not.

Audiobook review
SPOILER ALERT! Another series review. I still think a dislike of Changeless is more an indication of genre preferences than anything else.
Even bigger SPOILER ALERT! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven't read the other books first. Green Absinthia says, "All in all; Blameless is a wonderful imaginative novel and definitely deserves a re-read, or two, over the coming fall and winter. A job very well done, indeed."

Heartless: First draft with first readers. Final draft due Nov 1.
Timeless: Just an outline, making sure I pick up cookies and threads.
Secret Project F: Axed down and back with the agent.
CAKE in Space: Trunked.
See table of contents here, Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded available for preorder, releases November 15, 2010.
Short story turned in. The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2 available for preorder, releases October 12, 2010.

Quote of the Day:
"Writing is 1 percent inspiration, and 99 percent elimination."
~ Louise Brooks

Labels: , , , ,