Gail's Catty Thoughts on the Spring/Summer 2011 Paris Runways

Mysterious - NoirI have an interview up over with the Paperback Dolls. I might have brought Lord Akeldama with me.
Here is a sample of his antics. WARNING the interview is spoilerific for the first 3 books.
Dolls: The Dolls are dying to know some of your style secrets...any tips?
LA: Moi? Really, my sweets, what would I know about such things? Well, if you insist, I would say that fabric choice is vital, as is perfect tailoring, good foundation garments, and meticulous attention to detail. But frankly, in the end, I agree with my creator: you can never have too many pairs of beautiful shoes.

They also have a series review up. "The series starts with a bang, and never lets you go. Each book is more thrilling than the last. Remember - this series is meant to be taken with more than a dollop of humor - it is light, incredibly witty and an absolutely brilliant read."

And now, on to Fashion
Since fashion is neither my work nor my business, I feel I can say whatever I want online. This may be a bad thing. Here on some initial thoughts.

Marc Jacobs: Boring. Is it wrong that I lump Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, and Tommy Hillfiger together? I'm exhausted by American sportswear designers, they've basically been throwing the same stuff down the runway since 1968. Yawn fest. I couldn't be less interested.
Rebecca Taylor = Like watching a thrift store trot down the runway. And not one of the good vintage thrift stores either, one of those seedy back alley tiny local thrift stores with the stale sweat smell.
As always, I love BCBG, but Max Azria really simply does not believe women have breasts. However George Chakra's Edition line used exactly the same color pallet and could be worn with a bra! Halleluiah. BCBG stores should carry his line.
Jason Wu, I liked it, but if you asked me to spot one of his pieces on the street I'd be hard pressed to distinguish it from everything else I've liked at, say, Nordstrom's Rack, over the past five years. And turbans just don't work anymore.

And, because I'm griping, I'm going to complain about the filming of the catwalk shows. Why do close ups of the model's head or upper body? I want to see the clothing, the model is merely a vehicle. I have found this is a problem at conventions as well. I have lots of pictures of me form the knees up. And I put so much thought into my shoes.

Your moment of parasol . . .


Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
Let's talk about back seams. They must be straight. I spend a lot of time in front of the mirror or a friend or both making certain they are. THEN there is a trick: a little dab of clear nail polish top coat over the seam at the Achilles tendon will keep them from shifting to the side as you walk.

Your Tisane of Smart:
Vintage Tea Leaf's Scottish Highland Breakfast. Brews to a beautiful dark chocolate brown with a hint of red (Lapsing perhaps?) Very mild scent, hardly any overtones at all. Delicious flavor, a little more front of the mouth than English Breakfast, and a more circular finish near the top of the throat. Enjoyable. Has that slight aggression one expects from a Breakfast Tea from the northlands, but definitely something I could (and will) handle in the afternoon. Most enjoyable.
Your Writerly Tinctures:
Writing Excuses Podcast on how to build suspense was wonderful.

The Written Word says, "This series has a lot of humour in it, too, which I appreciated. There were plenty of times where I would find myself laughing at a situation that Alexia has found herself in, something she says, or even something that she does."
SPOILER ALERT! In which Aishwarya gushes. "Talking about three books in a limited number of words was difficult, but I managed to touch on some of the aspects of these books I love: that they're funny, fluffy, clever and wonderful at relationships. I wish I'd also been able to talk about how they're very, very geeky. Romance novels that my boyfriend is as excited about as I am. That is pretty amazing." Oh and there is an addendum comment witt he following witticism: "I say, you completely ignored the food. The food, I say! That buxom soulless one has an appetite that's, well, bottomless." Ha!
Even bigger SPOILER ALERT! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven't read the other books first. From the Book Yurt, "I’m trying not to gush but honestly I adored this book. Each character has their moment in the sun, each shows a glimpse of something we haven’t seen in them before."

Heartless: Working on rewrite, Draft 5 read through. Final draft due Nov 1.
Timeless: Just an outline, making sure I pick up cookies and threads.
Secret Project F: Axed down and back with the agent.
CAKE in Space: Trunked.
See table of contents here, Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded available for preorder, releases November 15, 2010.
Short story turned in. The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2 is out!

Quote of the Day:
"We are told that several ladies have actually appeared in public without gloves; no gloves! Do not these two words imply a verdict of vulgarity?"
~ 1873 Fashion Papers

Labels: , , , , ,