8.09.2010

Packing Ketchup and a Date for Heartless

Steampunk
  • I have a released date for Heartless, Book the Fourth in the Parasol Protectorate series, it's July 2011.
  • The final cover for the Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2, features yours truly.
Today's blog, Gentle Reader, is a peek into the exciting life of a mobile writer beast. I'm off to New Zealand and Australia this Friday to my mind is filled with what to take and what to pack ~ mostly clothing. But there are also things that are quintessentially writerly so I thought I might do a bit of a blog about it.

Packing for a Writer Visiting Australia
  • Baby laptop (called, by the PC minions a "Netbook") all loaded up and ready to go. I'm a Mac girl but I made the switch for $ reasons, and I wanted something small and portable that was too expensive. I got a Samsung N150 Plus (AKA Gimli). So far we've been getting along moderately well, I highly dislike the lack of Personalization on Windows 7 Starter (but am far too lazy to do the hack).
  • Duracell DC to AC Pocket Power Source Inverter - seems a pretty popular piece of kit, doesn't have the plane attachment but I decided I wouldn't use that much given the battery life of Gimli. I'm banking on even New Zealand cars having cigarette lighters.
  • Casio Exilim Digital camera - mine is an old 3.2 mega pixel that (annoyingly) needs a dock to charge. But since my pics are mainly for the web I usually have to downsize them anyway, and it still runs grate and has been all over the world with me. Now I just have to remember to pass her off to other people to take pictures at panels and convention events.
  • Olympus Digital Voice Recorder - I'm a not write-by-voice person as a rule, mostly because I feel like and idiot talking to myself. But sometimes, need dictates idiocy. All too often in my case. This is thee one I have, but I paid about $20 for it, five years ago. I can't believe how expensive it's become.
  • Moleskine Daily Planner - see above. I'm addicted to this size, shape and style.
  • Neck Pillow - a new one this trip. I don't usually sleep on planes, to much to do. But this time I'm giving it a try, reports indicate these memory foam ones are the best.
  • Adaptors
  • Travel Power Strip
  • Mitties - because they go everywhere with me.
  • Pocket Size Travel Alarm Clock with flashlight - I don't have a smart phone and even if I did I wouldn't trust it to wake me up. I travel everywhere with an independent alarm clock, I just find it more reliable.
  • Tea - (Twinings(UK) English Breakfast) because it's better to be safe than sorry where tea is concerned.
  • Immersion Heater for Liquids - see above (most brilliant invention EVER)
  • Powdered Milk - normally I would NEVER, but better powdered milk than no milk at all.
  • Marmite - I refuse to defend this superior form of yeast product, but when one is going into the land of vegemite, be prepared!
  • Collapsible Tupperware - one of the greatest inventions of mankind, bowl, plate, and storage all in one. And you can use it as a Frisbee in a pinch for entertainment.
  • Sewing kit - vintage clothing = constant repairs
  • First aid kit - mine includes blister pads for all my stiletto shoes
  • 4 Packets Travel Woolite - if you need to you can wash your smalls in a sink with these handy little things.
  • Flip-flops - never enter a strange shower without them.
  • Baking soda - because it is so very useful.

Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
A little bit more of Ivy Hisselpenny


Your Tisane of Smart:
Fun motorcycle helmets.
Your Writerly Tinctures:
Myth of Evil Editors


SPOILER ALERT! Changeless blurb gives away ending of Soulless.
Out September 1, 2010! Even bigger SPOILER ALERT! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven't read the other books first.
Heartless: Rough Draft done. First draft with first reader. Final draft due Nov 1.
Super Secret Project F: Under revision.
CAKE in Space: Trunked.
See table of contents here.
Short story turned in. The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2 available for preorder.

Quote of the Day:
"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money."
~ Susan Heller

1 comment:

  1. You are funny! Bringing your marmite, powdered milk and Twinings to Australia. Perhaps you might like the taste of vegemite....

    Where will you be in Australia? I don't expect you will get to Tasmania. I am in Launceston but do have a great time.

    ReplyDelete