It's Story Time! Gail's First Fast Food Expereince

Alexia in ShockBut first, I've an interview over at Murder by the Book. Here's a sample,
John: Madame Lefoux was a great addition to your world, will we see her in any future books?
Gail: 'Ze lovely French inventor has a very large part to play in Blameless, Book the Third, and a pivotal role in Heartless, Book the Fourth. I don't know yet about the last book, some characters don't weasel their way in until I'm actually writing the story.

The Story of Gail's First In-N-Out

So I was raised without fast food, Gentle Reader, and it wasn't until I was about 20 that I had my first Drive Through Experience, and it was at In-N-Out a popular indy burger joint here on the West Coast. I was driving, which meant I had to do the ordering. It all began with my utter confusion over the menu.

Gail: Why are there so few choices?
Friends: Because there's a whole secret code to ordering.
Gail: There is?
Friends: Yes, you want the Double Double Animal Style.
Gail: I do? That sounds rather naughty. But, OK.

Next up the completely incomprehensible speaker box (which turns out to be fast food standard issue).

Speaker: MMMMasdmsadm
Gail: What?
Speaker: ASdaslkdjdasdkajdasl
Gail: Um. Hi Charlie?
Speaker: ASdkalsdjaldj
Gail: Help me.
Friends: Just give it your order.
Gail: OK.

Finally, we made our way to a window, where instead of giving us food, they took money (food apparently came out the next window). The cashier being an adorable Asian boy I was slightly flustered. Particularly when he said:

AAB: Here's your change. Would you like a lap dance with that?
Gail: Would I like a lap dance!?!
AAB (without missing a beat): Sure
Friends (in hysterics): Lap mat. He wants to know if you want a lap mat.
Gail: Lap mat? What the hell is a lap mat? I'd rather have the lap dance.

Which is why, Gentle Reader, whenever a visit to In-N-Out is suggested, someone in my group of friends will pipe up with, "Would you like a lap dance with that?"

Sigh.



Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:

Your Tisane of Smart:
Food Time Line
Your Writerly Tinctures:
All About Bookscans

Vamp Angel says, "Even the chapter titles are amusing, for example: Chapter One - In Which Parasols Prove Useful; Chapter Two - An Unexpected Invitation; Chapter Three - Our Heroine Heeds Some Good Advice; Chapter Four - Our Heroine Ignores Good Advice, and so on. The cover is also wonderful." And provides and excerpt.
SPOILER ALERT! Changeless blurb gives away ending of Soulless. Aria says, "Such a nice change of pace from most the books and authors I enjoy."
Out September 1, 2010! Even bigger SPOILER ALERT! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven't read the other books first.
Heartless: First Draft done! Final draft due Nov 1.
Super Secret Project F: Under revision. Updated proposal delayed.
CAKE in Space: Trunked.
See table of contents here.
Short story turned in. The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2 available for preorder.

Quote of the Day:
"Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality."
~ Clifton Fadiman

Labels: , , ,