In Which Gail Gets Excited Over Balloons, Slapped Octopi, & Riding Outfits

Back in the writing mode recently, Gentle Reader, working on Secret Project F before Secret Project H takes over my life in a month or two. This story was a little stiff to start but now I'm in the flow of things. As a side result I've been doing some airship research, which should tell you, in part at least, what flavor of secret project this will be. This story revolves around early flight, Giffard hasn't worked his magic yet, which meant unearthing these public domain images through wikipedia. Yay balloons!

I've also had another interview drop, this one is rather far ranging and veers into the ridiculous, which, of course, I enjoyed immensely. Here's a sample:
Ruth: Finally, besides eating your cat, what is your zombie plan?
Ms. Carriger: Well, I have this vague idea of escaping to Alcatraz island, depending on whether the zombies can travel under water or not. Otherwise, I plan to head out to the coast to some obscure fishing village: isolated, ready food source, and one can always take to the ocean if necessary.
Ruth: Have you ever been fishing for octopus? What’s your favorite way to eat them?
Ms. Carriger: I’ve never fished for octopuses. One of my professors used to wax poetical about his Greek fishing village and how they whack dead octopuses against the streets to tenderize them and hang them out on clotheslines. “You know you’re in Greece,” he used to say, “When you wake up to the sound of an octopus being slapped of a morning.” Coincidentally, my favorite way to eat them is Greek style – grilled with lemon, olive oil, and fresh oregano. Heaven.
Read more . . .

This would appear to be an picture heavy post, Gentle Reader, as I also must remark upon these images my dear friend Rachel sent my way:
She works in book rescue, and this noble tomb came across her desk recently. I've a bit of an unrequited love for vintage riding gear. You can't really tell, but in the photo bellow I'm wearing a vintage 1930's riding suit I picked up on Height Street from the infamous Decades of Fashion. (A number of my other vintage dresses have come from this shop, including the red one I wore to BEA last year. Red is good.)



Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
Adele Blanc-Sec with Sub Titles!

Your Tisane of Smart:
Turkey Domestication.
The real question is, why? I mean, have you ever met a wild turkey? Repulsive birds. Why would you want to domesticate them? Ugh.
Your Writerly Tinctures:
Dani talks about the great fear inherent in Book 2. To which all I can add is, hear hear.


Books By Their Cover's review funniest bit: "I expected greatness from this book. I expected a holy crap, ohmyeffinggodthisissogood! moment. I expected coming out from this book that I would pretty much find Gail Carriger, hold her tea hostage and demand the sequel. And by golly I got what I wanted!"
SPOILER ALERT! Amazon and Powell's have posted Changeless cover along with blurb. Blurb gives end of Soulless.
Fantasy Literature says, "Just like Soulless, Changeless is a light entertaining read that would be right at home in many a beach bag or airplane carryon."
Even bigger SPOILER ALERT! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven't read the other books first.
Super Secret Project H: Submitted to agent.
Super Secret Project F: Consulted betas, good to go. Hope to write first two chapters this month. Note that number isn't changing much. I am a bad writer beast.
CAKE in Space: Trunked for the moment.
Short article done, turned in, and VanderMeer's have announced the table of contents.
Not-so-secret fiction short: Finished rough. (For the The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2.)

Quote of the Day:
"There is no way that someone else can ruin the thing that you are passionate about by liking it too!"
~ The Steampunk Scholar

Labels: , , , , ,