On Sickness & Interview with Travis

Parasol - GraphicLast few days something along the lines of as follows:
Blink, blink. Cough, cough. Argh, student Petri dishes have got me at last! Head cold. Why must this be? Work, must work. Accidentally give snarky lip at work (best to keep brains and humor under control). Trouble, drama rah rah rah. Return home. Can't breathe, can't sleep.

Next morning = emotional moment over move. Check email, royal slap down from boss. Well, isn't that nice? Bum about house in PJ's drinking tea and eating soup. Visit loo a lot. Drive to teach. Risky, 'cause I'm all fuzzy in the head, but I make it. Nearly fall asleep over computer just before class. Manage to make it through teaching but there are a lot of long silences and I'm not sure if they actually learned anything about Design Analysis but at least I stayed upright. (It's the little things.)

Phone message, more problems with the move. Phone call, I'm on my own for dinner. Home to cold dark. More soup. Check email one last time. Royal slap down from fellow author. Has got me thinking about making some more changes in 2010, what the hay, might as well go for broke, right? Decide not to be rash, put down phone, crawl into bed. Can't sleep ~ back to the breathing thing again.

You know what they say about those days when you're not meant to get out of bed? Yeah. I may have to pack in this whole week the way it's going.

On to better things! Lovely Travis Heerhann is chatting with me on his blog. Travis is another alt-history fantasy author. His setting is Medieval Japan, which intrigues me greatly. We met at the bar at World Fantasy, as you do . . . He interviewed me all about writerly things, here's a sample.
TH: Can you give a brief arc of your career as a writer/author?
GC: Well, let me tell you! I had a stunning debut at age eight with a brilliant saga of calico cat goes adventuring on flying carpet. Sometime after that, I hit high school with a vengeance producing several acclaimed exposés on the nature of Roman battle tactics. Sadly, I experiences a real dry spell during my university years concentrating on rightly snubbed short lived treatises on gender dynamics in Ancient Greek plays.
Yeah, Soulless would be my debut.



Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
I want I want I want!

Your Tisane of Smart:
Medieval ship remains found in lake. I love under water archaeology. If I had my life to do over again that's the area I'd focus on.
Your Writerly Tinctures:
Working with difficult characters? Writing tips from io9.

CAKE in Space: Back from agent, but now I don't have time for it.
In which Lord Akeldama is described as the dandiest, fanciest vampire evah.
SPOILER ALERT! Amazon has posted Changeless cover along with blurb. Blurb gives bits of Soulless away so don't read if you haven't read the first book!
Blameless: Back from editor with edits still to do.

Quote of the Day:
"Why do children frequently possess none of the physical or mental characteristics of their parents? Because the magnetism of the mind of the mother, under the influence of some mental impression or impressions she receives, controls the development of the unborn child."
~ Dr. Edward B. Foote, 1971

Labels: , ,