7.27.2009

Soulless, Urban fantasy? Historical Paranormal?

SOULLESS Book Cover
I have been engaged in an interesting interview back-and-forth recently, gentle reader, wherein Soulless was accused of not being urban fantasy. According to this person, and wikipedia, urban fantasy must have a contemporary setting, which means my work doesn't qualify.

So I was left wondering, if not urban fantasy - then what?

I always thought that since it has an urban setting (London) and a strong fantasy element (vampires, werewolves, ghosts) - it would be OK to call it urban fantasy. I suppose one might refer to Soulless as a alternate history paranormal or, in old style literary terms, simply a Gothic novel. But then I would call most "urban fantasies" more accurately "modern Gothics" because often there is no urban setting (see Sookie in the rural south). Locus recently had a very interesting issue tackling definitions of urban fantasy and paranormal romance from different author and editor perspectives. It does seem to be that everyone has a different conceptualization of the term.

Soulless is difficult to categorize because it has its fingers in so many sub-genre pies (steampunk, paranormal, alternate history, gothic, comedic) and as a result I suspect people talk about it as urban fantasy because that is the easiest trope to identify it with quickly.

I thought I might field this question to the readership, where would you place Soulless?

Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
The Wild Haggis on display.

Your Tisane of Smart:
Those Elusive Knights Templar
Your Writerly Tinctures:
Nora Roberts nice little advice to writers: discipline guilt and guilt.

CAKE in Space: With agent.
Soulless: I'm working on September guest blogs and interviews.
Changeless: Awaiting copyedit. Release date currently April 2010.
Blameless Rough draft done! Editing & expanding First Draft. (pages not words - I'm on the read through) First page sample due for Book 2 end of this week. Ahhhhh! Deadlines.

Quote of the Day:
"There is more pleasure to building castles in the air than on the ground."
~ Edward Gibbon
But it sure is fun to dig the ground ones up.

1 comment:

  1. This is something I will be mentioning in my review of Soulless.

    It's clearly a historical. And most definitely a paranormal. Some do find "Urban Fantasy" kinda touche because they do expect it to be in "today's" time frame.

    I think it's safer w/ Historical Paranormal. Although, personally I would put it in the HOT NEW RELEASE section. ;)

    ReplyDelete