How Short Stories Are Like Carrot Stew

In the end, Gentle Reader, I entirely ignored the reviews (of DOOOM) that I had to do yesterday in favor of working on the short story. I finished it, but now that I figured out how it ends I have to go back and change a bunch of stuff in the middle, most scalpel-like removal of superfluous information. This is not unlike having cooked a stew only to discover ones guest is allergic to carrots, thus having to go in and fish them all out. The carrot flavor will never truly be gone, and you're bound to get messy and covered in gravy. One can only hope the stew is not entirely dependent upon the presence of carrots. Otherwise one ends up tossing the whole story. Of have I lost the metaphor in there somewhere?

Anyway, you see what I mean?


From the Society of Illustrators Student Exhibit

In other news, Orbit's Fall Schedule is posted, including self. Thrilled to bits! If you go visit, you get a sneak peek of my cover, which I will be posting about next week.

Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
How did I not know this movie was coming out? With Paul Bettany no less.
Your Tisane of Smart:
Old woodworking machines
Your Writerly Tinctures:
A list of romance novel publishers who are DRM free from the ladies over at Smart Bitches

CAKE in Space: Next on the agenda - draft 2.
Soulless: Completed proofs, awaiting ARCs.
Changeless: Gone poof.
Steampunk short:

Quote of the Day:
"You learn by writing short stories. Keep writing short stories. The money's in novels, but writing short stories keeps your writing lean and pointed."
~ Larry Niven

Labels: , ,